Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Graber Social Call and a Chow Down Show-Down



Two weeks ago, Maeve and I indulged in a visit with the Grabers (minus hard-working Dad, Steve who was on a business trip in NY). We had hoped to incorporate a nice walk on the Boulevard in Providence, but mother nature wasn't in on the plan and instead, we watched the rain drops from our table for five at the Garden Grille, where the sun shone bright inside. A lovely dinner was had by all and then it was back to Seekonk to unwind a bit. Much earlier that day, at about 7:30 AM to be more precise, I had carefully and lovingly prepared some fresh strawberries for Maeve to round out her shredded mini wheat breakfast. I thought, as I rinsed and cored them, "what kid doesn't like strawberries?" Apparently, my kid doesn't like them. She put one piece in her mouth and made the most god-awful gagging sound as it came sliding out. And I figured, that was the end of that. Fast forward twelve hours later. Enter Josie and TJ Graber. Two kids with an insatiable appetite for ANYTHING that is good for you. I placed my tupperware of prepared strawberries in the middle of the coffee table. I watched Josie and TJ lunge for the gorgeous red berries and sat in awe as they began to devour them with sheer delight. Then I looked to my right to find Maeve carefully surveying the feeding frenzy, the wheels of her mind picking up speed. No sooner had I acknowledged her examining the kids enjoying the fruit, when she marched over to the table, selected the largest strawberry in the bunch and shoved it whole, right into her mouth. Then she whipped around to shoot me a look realizing she had barely any room to actually chew the fruit. It took her a minute or two but she downed the strawberry in triumph. And wouldn't you know? She hasn't had a strawberry since.

No comments: