Saturday, May 9, 2009

Stealing Away

A few weeks ago, I decided to take my marriage by the reigns and kidnap my husband for a getaway weekend up to Maine. Thanks to the babysitting efforts of Mom, Dad and Auntie Jen, my dreams became a reality and the beautiful thing about it all is, Maeve and Michael were the ones who thoughts they were on a getaway weekend! We tried to keep things simple during our time up there but did nurse a couple of decent-sized hangovers our first waking morning in Rockland. After a rousing night closing out a couple of bars with Chris' cousins, Conan and Devan and their respective spouses, Heather & Herb, we took a leisurely walk around downtown Rockland, breathing in the sea air and soaking up some of the sunshine. After a visit to the Farnsworth Museum, we indulged a bit in the purshasing of some prints by Andrew Wyeth (my most favorite artist on the planet, right after my husband) and then got ready for a fabulous dinner at a gem of a restaurant called Cafe Miranda. If you EVER find yourself in Rockland, ME and you leave Rockland without having a meal at Cafe Miranda, I will hunt you down, kidnap you, put you in my car and drive you right back there (after making a reservation for two, because you will then have to share your dinner with me). Our lodging was provided by The Berry Manor Inn, one of the best decisions I've ever made and our hosts, Cheryl & Mike stopped at nothing to make sure our stay there was delightful from start to finish. Anyone who has never tried staying at a Bed & Breakfast before is missing out on a world of possibilities (and in a lot of cases, you're spending less money than you would at a hotel and getting much cleaner, better service). It was a bit more shopping on Monday before we headed back to Hanson to pick up our charges from their little "getaway." Now the only question left is, how soon can we get back there?

No comments: